Sunday, May 20, 2007

Selfless Dreams


When I was a little girl it was my dream to be just like Kristy Yamaguchi or Scott Hamilton. "If I can do a triple axle," I used to think, "then I can BE somebody!!" Fifteen years later my dreams have changed quite a bit. My dream of figure skating went down the drain when I discovered I couldn't do a cartwheel. :) While spins, glides, and axles used to astound me, I've shifted my focus away from myself. Instead I dream of making a difference. With age I've come to realize that the dreams that last are those that do not involve myself. Instead I dream of molding minds, of changing hearts, and of encouraging those around me to keep on keeping on.


Christ calls us to dream large. There is a world holding millions upon millions of people. All of those people have a heart and soul. When we dream only for ouselves, then we hold ourselves above other people. My dream as a child only worried about my own success. If I ever make it to fame, then I pray that my focus will not be on my success, but on how my success can change the lives of others to glorify God. We have a daily opportunity to create new goals. What do you dream of? Do your dreams involve others? Dreams reflect the heart, so take a minute to ensure that you are focusing on God's people rather than on yourself. Dream for Him, and thereby glorify His Name by being His vessel.

No comments: